Over the next few days, I will be participating in Blogger Listmas 2013! I got the idea from Liore, who linked me the previous post, and I think it’s a great way to participate in the general community. Plus, it’s the end of the year, so it’ll be fun to do random round-ups of things. Every day from now through Christmas, I will be posting at least one list on a topic of my choosing. Most of them will be about games, but not all of them. Hope you enjoy!
My first list is actually not specifically about games, but it is related in a way. I’ll assume that everyone has figured out that I am on a podcast at this point, and since that is gaming-related, I figure that if I talk about podcasts, in general, then it totally counts! I don’t actually have a ton of time to listen to podcasts right now, since I don’t have a daily commute, but these are the ones that I always make a point of listening to each week:
- The Bugle – John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman doing an incredibly sarcastic satirical take on the week’s news. All the best parts of The Daily Show, but with more puns. It’s incredible, and the first thing I look to listen to every week!
- This is Only a Test – General tech news podcast run by the guys at Tested.com. These guys are now affiliated with Mythbusters, and as such have awesome access for random stories. This can be on the longish side (about 2 hours a week), and I’m sure most people have a favorite tech podcast, but this is the one I’ve settled on. Plus, I love when Gary Whitta is on it because he is hilarious and can’t stick to a topic. They have a spinoff called “Still Untitled” where they sit down and have a chat with Adam Savage about random topics that is arguably more interesting.
- Limited Resources – Magic: The Gathering! I think this is one of the better-known Magic podcasts, and it focuses entirely on Limited (drafting mostly, some sealed). Several former co-hosts have gone on to work at Wizards on the game, and it’s been incredibly informative. Plus, Marshall seemed really nice both times I’ve run into him in person!
- 99% Invisible – This one is a little harder to explain. It’s a public radio show about “design” and everything that goes along with it. I’ve learned about the architecture and downfall of an incredibly popular skateboarding location, a discussion of the I <3 NY design and trademark, and listened to a really incredible music-backed reading of a story on an early 20th century conservationist. Roman Mars and his team do a great job, and they just got Kickstarter backing to do even more content next year!
- The Football Ramble – A funny and irreverent weekly roundup of the European Football. Lots of jokes about Brian Pinas. Apparently, I like English people talking into my headphones.
There are a few others that I listen to, but those are my top 5. I really enjoy The Alton Browncast, Brainstorm Brewery (Magic finance), and Drive to Work (Mark Rosewater’s Magic design rambling). The occasional episode of RadioLab and Wait Wait, Don’t Tell Me round out my typical listening options.